“How many a year has passed and gone
Many a gamble has been lost and won
And many a road taken by many a first friend
And each one I've never seen again.”
“Some First Few Friends”
• One became a noted artist and musician.
• One became a Colorado music promoter.
• One saved my life – twice.
• One was best man for my first wedding.
• One became a noted artist and published cartoonist.
• One became my daughter’s godfather.
• I married one’s first wife.
• One became a graphic designer for “The Grateful Dead”.
• One married my second wife.
• One became a convicted hold up artist.
• Two I carried to their graves.
• One became a teamster and union activist.
• One was best man for my third marriage.
• One became a mobster.
• One is believed to be living in Tibet.
• One is dying.
• Five have died.
• Seven I have not seen in decades.
Dennis James Laux, 2013